Go Back   Nexodyne Forums > Entertainment > Visual Arts
Reload this Page Drawing with a tablet
User Name
Password

Old 09-07-2007, 09:27 PM
Wordy Wordy Wordpants!

CO3 is a God.CO3 is a God.CO3 is a God.CO3 is a God.CO3 is a God.CO3 is a God.CO3 is a God.CO3 is a God.CO3 is a God.CO3 is a God.CO3 is a God.
Drawing with a tablet

All right. I got a tablet yesterday. It's a Wacom Intuos3, 4 by 6 and I'm having lots of fun with it. I would, however, like to draw with a more professional cleanliness. I want the drawings to look good and clean with crisp lines. I've tried using a thin brush, but either it's too soft or it's too thin. I think a good idea would be to scale it up, do what I'm going to do rather large, and then shrink it, but I don't know what to do.

I also have been wondering if I could/should do something like Unsharp Mask or something to make it look more crisp. Then, as I've promised in the past to a couple of individuals, I'll start posting lots of art.

Edit: A fucking ice dragon.
Attached Images
File Type: png icedragonmmkay.PNG (116.5 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by Crescent Omega v.3.0 : 09-07-2007 at 10:04 PM.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:06 PM
Biceps made out of Steel Cobras

Liam is a jewel in the roughLiam is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to Liam
CO3 wins the FUCKING ICE DRAGON contest.

If you read this sentence you are gay.

Old 09-08-2007, 12:07 AM
Contributor

breakfast is a jewel in the roughbreakfast is a jewel in the rough
perhaps its because you're drawing in msn and the brushes are very limited in their selection?

maybe post a sample that is in an art program.

Old 09-08-2007, 01:15 AM
Wordy Wordy Wordpants!

CO3 is a God.CO3 is a God.CO3 is a God.CO3 is a God.CO3 is a God.CO3 is a God.CO3 is a God.CO3 is a God.CO3 is a God.CO3 is a God.CO3 is a God.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridicule
perhaps its because you're drawing in msn and the brushes are very limited in their selection?

maybe post a sample that is in an art program.

The MSN thing is just because of the conversation that Liam and I were having. It's not connected in any way to my issues. I'm using Photoshop CS3, and it is essentially looking somewhat bland. I mean open it up with a white background, draw a 1 px black brush across it and that's what it ends up looking like. I'm thinking that larger images with a larger brush then scaled down would be best, but it seems like it's just translating the problem into a bigger canvas. What I'm wanting is something harder than a brush but not definite/grainy like pencil. There's a way to achieve the effect I'm sure. I was just wondering if anyone knows what I'm talking about.

I would imagine it to be a pretty generic problem (though I've not found much in the way of a solution, though I could be searching with the wrong queries) so if you've got a tablet, I'm assuming at one point you'd go 'wow this is shitty' and then you might be able to tell me how you fixed it. When I say 'you', I mean the reader and not Ridicule specifically.

If you truly need an example, I'll post one.

Old 09-10-2007, 03:15 AM
Contributor

Trilex will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Trilex
Well you main problem is that you're drawing incorrectly. It doesn't matter what kind of brush you use to draw, seeing as all the specialty brushes are for painting, not drawing. I generally just use the regular brush to draw, as it is the most convenient.

You start with insanely rough sketches to plot out what you want to draw.

Then you work on what you had planned, still keeping it rough but fixing it up more and more. You eventually start cleaning up and making it neat and tidy. The eraser side of the pen is your best friend. Carve it away bit by bit. I started cleaning up the dolls face there to show you what I mean. Sadly I don't have any saved documentation of the process from the first pic to the second, but mainly all you have to know is that it takes a lot of planning/roughwork.

This one has ways to go before even being ready for painting, most of the content I have planned isn't even drawn yet. I'll post it once done if you want. Good luck and keep practising.

PS. Working on a huge canvas size IS the correct way of doing it. That way when you scale it down it looks smoother and more pro. Also, if you have a really large file of the artowrk, you can make large prints in very good quality.

Last edited by Trilex : 09-10-2007 at 03:20 AM.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:34 AM
Banned

heather2046 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up nice!!

nice!!!!!

Old 03-31-2010, 10:23 PM
Biceps made out of Steel Cobras

Liam is a jewel in the roughLiam is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to Liam
C03? Did you ever keep this up? I'd love to see some of your more recent creations if you have any

If you read this sentence you are gay.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:52 AM
Wordy Wordy Wordpants!

I haven't been drawing much at all for a while. I start projects but I don't usually get to finish them. I have a whole folder on my old HDD full of mostly done stuff. I need some cables and I'll see if I can get some stuff posted.

Or I might just start over. I've gotten better at my line drawings since then. I'll keep you posted.