Go Back   Nexodyne Forums > Living > Physical Fitness
Reload this Page Health and Fitness Goals
User Name
Password

Old 07-21-2012, 08:33 PM
Contributor

breakfast is a jewel in the roughbreakfast is a jewel in the rough
Health and Fitness Goals

With the future of the site seemingly dwindling into nothing I figured I'd try and contribute something that I'm involved in (there's also school and hockey if anyone's interested!!).

I've been going to school while living at home (on co-op currently in my 4th of 5 years) for the past few years but am currently living a few hours away on work term with a buddy from school. I was finding I had a ton of spare time and not enough to do to fill it. I don't do any clubs/organized sports anymore and don't get off on video games like I used to... it's more of a social thing to keep in touch with buddies who've moved away. I also have always been on the skinnier side of things and decided to put on some good weight by ending my inactivity and hit the gym.

After scouring /r/fitness and seeing the hivemind's love for Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength I decided to dive right in. I'm currently 2 months in and loving it. I've learned the value of good nutrition and already had good results. For anyone specifically interested in this program, a wikia page of information is set up here or you can buy Ripp's book somewhere here. I've chosen to do a modified version (clicky) which replaces power cleans and suggests some accessory work. The book/wiki explain the exercises in detail so that you do them properly without injuring yourself. Personally, I didn't buy the book and instead read lots on the wiki as well as on /r/fitness. Form critique videos are especially helpful because you eventually can see what people are doing right/wrong and how they need to correct themselves.

If I had to make one suggestion to anyone it would be to watch what you eat. Something as simple as tracking your calories with My Fitness Pal online or on your phone takes only a minute or two per meal and you can either use it just to actually see what you put into your body or go so far as to set caloric/macronutrient goals and meet them on a day-to-day basis. You can easily lose a pound a week without setting foot in a gym, treadmill or even outside just by eating on a caloric deficit.

I've come to realize the value of life and I think people should be grateful for what we have and treat your body with care. Are you overweight and want to shed some pounds? Skinny-fat and want to fill out your clothes? Weak and want some strength? Bad posture? Discuss what you've got going on in terms of health and fitness in your life.

Last edited by breakfast : 07-21-2012 at 08:36 PM.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:26 AM
Contributor Pirate

Dragoon is a jewel in the roughDragoon is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to Dragoon
Joined a gym a couple months ago. Had to suspend my membership for the moment because I'm broke, but I intend to start it back up next month. Lost about 20 pound so far, and I'm feeling somewhat better.

Going to school where I do has also helped; the campus is 90% hills and stairs ("HSU: Hills and Stairs University"), and next semester my classes are just about as spread out as they can be, including the two highest (and farthest apart) buildings on campus.

I've been using Fitocracy occasionally, although I generally don't bother to keep track of what I do at the gym so I can record it. Perhaps if/when they release an Android app.

I'm trying to eat better, but for the moment I'm more concerned about eating cheaply.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:27 PM
Administrator
I am Bid!  
Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.
In the same vein as you guys really, since I took up running two years ago I've started to notice I look a little small without the chub, so I've hit the weights. I just do pressups, situps, and lift weights at home, but I'm definitely seeing some gains. I don't want to be huge at all, it wouldn't suit me, I just want to look healthy and like I work out a little, not like just another skinny guy.

Edit: I did join Fitocracy when it first came out, but the only other guys I knew on it and was in a group with did different exercises to me, and running was really really weighted for points to begin with, so I always won all the little contests and it got boring.
"If he is not smart enough to invent something to improve his own quality of life how is he smart enough to tell us all there is no GOD"

Old 11-20-2012, 11:10 PM
Nexodyne Newbie

Frank222 is on a distinguished road
Personally I also don't want to look like a huge man or a bodybuilder and I just do simple workouts and exercise for general body fitness not for building up huge muscles. The one thing that is more regular in my daily routine is morning cardio because it has been good for me so far.