View Single Post

Old 02-25-2011, 02:44 PM
Retired

Gearbox will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christouffer
What kind of internet do you guys get out there and how often do you have access to it?

Are you allowed a computer of your own? Does the computer you use allow to install applications on it?

How often are you "at work" and how often are you doing whatever you want to do (minus the fact that you're in Afghanistan and can't leave).

Everything within our jurisdiction wee connected by our crew and me. Satellites were used to connect to more remote areas (i.e. the rest of the world). Speeds were a bit slower than DSL. Access was available unless it is "river city" (a restricted communications status where e-mail/phones can go in but not out).

We had a few computers that we use almost exclusively. Originally most users could install whatever they wanted (iTunes, even?) but we had to implement new security methods which restricted them to certain approved programs. Other programs may be installed on a case-by-case basis. If the computer is not connected to the network then we can do whatever we want.

We tried to stick with a 12 hour schedule but due to operational requirements we were usually "at work" for 24 hours or more at a time.